Archeus is a small herbal apothecary in Hawke's Bay, New Zealand. We owe our name to the 16th Century physician and alchemist Paracelsus, who coined the term ‘Archeus’ [Ah-kee-us] for the vital life force that resides in us, Nature and the universe.
Working with Nature
The Archeus philosophy is simple: to work with nature, rather than against her. And to do this in a way that honours a long tradition of plant wisdom and artisan craftsmanship.
We take pride in the fact that it takes time to make Archeus products. Following in the tradition of herbalists and healers who, over centuries, have prepared their own forms of creams, oils, teas and tinctures; a number of traditional processes take place here such as gathering and sourcing herbs, infusing plant oils with the healing properties of a range of plants, creating tinctures and using alembic and alquitar stills to create hydrosols. Waste products from these processes, such as plant matter, are returned to the earth in compost for our gardens.
Each product is then handmade in small batches. The intent of the maker to create beautiful products that are imbued with the healing and nourishing qualities of certain plants, the immediacy of small scale production and the setting here in the Archeus gardens combine to make something more than the sum of its parts. We are creating products of integrity and a truly authentic connection to nature.
Giving back to Nature
And so another part of the Archeus philosophy is the sense that nature gives us so much, so it is only right to give something back. A portion of every purchase you make goes towards plant conservation projects. This is not a game of quick returns, it is a long term, heartfelt contribution back into the ecology of the Hawke’s Bay region.
Finalist, Sustainability Champion - 2015 Sustainable Business Network Awards (NZ)
Finalist, Best New Natural Product - 2015 Pure Beauty Awards (UK)
What we Do
- We carefully select each Archeus ingredient for its unique beneficial healing properties
- We handcraft our products in small batches to ensure freshness
- We use organic and certified ingredients wherever possible
- We invest back into plant conservation to support nature
We Do Not
- We do not use unsustainable ingredients
- We do not test on animals
- We do not use synthetic nasties such as parabens
Where we want to head
- We aim to have a positive impact on Nature through our business practice and conservation activity
- We aim to work with our supply chain to create a better place for biodiversity
- We aim to create a community of care, empowering people with the simple idea that giving back to Nature is positive for all
Archeus was a finalist for 'Best New Natural Product' in the 2015 Pure Beauty Awards. Based in the UK these awards recognise the most exciting, innovative and efficacious products released globally in the past year.
Archeus is proud to be a member of:
Archeus was proud to receive the DomPost 2014 Start up Star award in conjunction with the Wellington Gold Awards for Business: